Follow by Email

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday


Please join me at Susan's, Between Naps on on the Porch, for more transformations! She and the other participants will amaze you with their creativity!

Today I'm sharing a complete transfer of my itty, bitty, laundry room. I'm going to have to ask you to do a little visualization, you see, I didn't have my glasses on when I took the before pictures...darn it! I didn't see the flashing "no memory card" on my screen. Ugh.....

Well let me tell you about the before...picture this...a 5 foot by 6 foot room {think of a small person laying down on the floor with their arms spread out to the side + a foot or more}. Got it? You're right, it's small. And inside this room is a list of many things: washer and dryer {of course}, medium dog crate on the floor ~ with a laundry basket overflowing with my boys' shoes, an overflowing paper recycling laundry basket siting on the dryer, and a dog food bag and bowl on the floor. Above the washer is a wire shelving unit I installed a while back. Above the dryer are wooden shelves {came with the house for storage - yeah right!}. Hanging from these shelves I hooked two more wire shelves.

Oh, you must be asking, where do I do laundry? Well, let me tell you, I just stand in front of the washing machine and lean this way and that to get what I need. Convenient? No...This room is right off my kitchen so needless to say the door is always closed because I'm just so very embarrassed of it!

Well, after reading through a zillion blogs posts and looking at gazillion pictures at Rate My Space, I decided, THAT'S IT! I CAN'T LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE! So I decided to do a quick fix. {My husband always gets a little nervous when I get that look in my eye.}

So, I started clearing things out, reorganizing things, and decided what could and couldn't stay. Dog crate ~ out; tub of shoes ~ out; paper recycling ~ out; laundry detergent - well that had to stay...and the dog food ~ of course!

I decided that since I had to keep all the laundry things in there, I would just have to get new pretty baskets or cover all the shelving units. After looking and trying to find 6-7 new baskets, I would be spending way too much... I decided to just cover them. In my mind, I knew what color and print I wanted to use, but I just could find it. {I can sew but I'd rather not.} So, I was browsing through Wal-Mart, looking for less expensive baskets and found myself on the aisle with kitchen curtains. They had Better Homes and Gardens kitchen curtains and they were the perfect colors I was looking for! Upon closer inspection, there were valances and cafe curtains that could be purchased individually or in sets. Could this be? Could it be this easy? No sewing? Yahoo! I picked up what I needed and I was on my way ~ watch out mrmessylaundryroomi'msoembarrassedofyou!

Here are a few before shots...{that I took afterward}... thanks for your excellent visualization!


See... dull, dingy, yuk!

Here are my after pictures!
This is actually the width of the room, I know, really small!
These curtains cover ALL the shelving. It's about 5 panels so it's easy to reach in and grab what I need. See the new globe light fixture ~ yes, the other one was broken. {I told you it was bad!}

I think I forgot to mention that I also have a window? I LOVE my window ~ it's small but it does its job...brings in the glorious sunlight that helps brighten this room.
On top of the dryer is a towel ~ the dryer is scratched and I just didn't want to look at it any longer. In the window sill are two finials from Hobby Lobby ~ 80% off.


I have a bulletin board that has moved from room to room and needed a new home. Here, it's functional and adds more warmth to the room. I just pinned another panel to it and then hung my Goodwill mirror in the middle. I really like it!

And finally, after reading a warm and enchanting blog, I decided to add the final touch, clothespins. Doesn't every laundry room need them? They were a quick and easy project. Please visit Twice Remembered for the tutorial on making these little dandy clippers. She has a wonderful, amazing site, you won't be disappointed!


Well, that's my transformation, thanks for following along. Now I love looking at my new little room and can actually leave the door open! I love doing laundry now... {did I really say that!?*}

10 comments:

  1. Sharlotte, you did a beautiful job on the curtains! I love the transformation! Such lovely fabrics, great colors! Your clothpins came out adorable!

    Have a great week!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sharlotte... just had to comment...

    Your transformation came out precious. I love the mixture of patterns in your fabrics.

    And...I absolutely love your clothespins. What kind of paper did you use on them? And where are they in your space. They are much too pretty to put behind the curtain.

    One more question: Did I see a piece of green depression glass in the window sill?

    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susie!
    Thanks for your kind words...
    For the clothespins, I used scrapbooking paper, I suppose any paper would do. These clothespins are in my window sill. I have them placed on a green candle holder, I only wish it was depression glass!
    Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just loved your describing the before I could see it all! I absolutely love the after photos so pretty what a great idea using curtains that way thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is darling what you have done.
    Enjoying Met Monday and all of the great ideas.
    Blessings to you from Kansas,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved the framed mirror idea..very clever and brings in so much color too!

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that mirror in the middle! Totally stealing that idea. And you've done wonders with the laundry room. Guess what? Mine is the walk through from the garage to the kitchen, and no window. Dark as a dungeon...
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't call it a small room, call it your "step-saver" laundry. Love the clothespins, never saw anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your metamorphasis looks great~ well done.

    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The fabric really warmed up the space and creates a cozy feel in the laundry room! Just what you need --- a cozy place to do wash!!

    I bet it feels great.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10