Follow by Email

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Metamorphosis Monday w/ Southern Hospitality


Please join me at Susan's, Between Naps on on the Porch, for more transformations! She and the other participants will amaze you with their creativity!

This summer was a joyful one...my oldest son married the love of his life and has moved into a loft in Dallas, Texas. Both he and his bride love contemporary furnishings so their new home is perfect. Because {he} they have their own place, I now have a semi~spare room {he took about 85% of his things with him}. I've heard different opinions about "redecorating" your child's room when they leave the nest, both "yea" and "nay". So, I decided to go with "yea" and a little "nay".

As I venture farther and deeper into this wonderful world of blogging, I just get more and more inspired. Inspired to try things that I haven't been brave enough to do in the past and inspired to look at things from a very different perspective. So, to all you creative bloggers out there, thank you for all your inspiration!

Today, for Metamorphosis Monday, I'm showing two things for my "new" guest room. This room already had blue walls with white built~ins. Since we will be moving in a year or two and I didn't want to repaint, I went with what I had and decided on a beachy theme. I needed this room to have a queen bed, so I've been on the lookout for a new headboard. Nothing I found was the right style or more importantly the right price. Therefore, my husband and I decided that we would just build one, he's quite a handy man! I wanted something casual, preferably white to match the existing shelves. As luck would have it, I was at my favorite Goodwill store and I spotted this headboard. It was sturdy and the look was perfect. Best of all, it was a great price.

A little sanding, priming, two+ coats of paint and it was a perfect relaxing beachy bed!


As I was browsing, I ventured to the picture frames. I knew I needed something for my blank wall above the bed, I just hadn't decided what to do yet...and then I spotted this picture frame! It was in great shape and pretty. I still have a fondness for the goldtones...so I thought twice that perhaps I shouldn't paint the frame. Well, by the time I had arrived home and dismantled the pictured, I discovered it was plastic. So, the painting began!





Now, filling the frame...I toyed with the idea of taking pictures of seashells and then enlarging it, but I don't think my simple camera could handle the enlargement. Then I thought about fabric {like I've seen on several posts}, but this frame was quite large. So with coupons in hand, I headed to Hobby Lobby and Michael's. I ended up at Michael's and found something that I thought would work. After playing around with their colors and frames, I decided to get this print. I think I like it...


I like the way the casualness of the print blends with the "fussy" frame. With my carpet, I think it all might work.

When I have the room completed, I'll post it on another Metamorphosis Monday. Until then, thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your Monday.

And...be sure to check out Southern Hospitality for her weekend update. Here you'll find other participants as well and their finds while treasure hunting...you'll be amazed at all the terrific items!

26 comments:

  1. OOO, this is going to look oh, so great! I have fallen in love with the beachy look (I blame Sarah over at A BEACH COTTAGE!! Every single thing she does just throws me into COVET mode!(. I can't wait to see this room of yours all finished. And..that picture of the shells....PERFECT!!
    I am a follower so I won't miss this room!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your son's marriage. I agree; it's time to redecorate the room into a guest room. And, you're off to a terrific start! The blue walls are perfect for your beach theme. That headboard looks fabulous painted white. Also, so does the frame and the shell print is perfect!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow! This post was right up my ally because I'm in the throes of doing a beachy bedroom makeover too! I wish you were done so I could borrow some ideas. Lol. Love the white painted frame and artwork. I'm having trouble finding artwork that is appealing to me, the right colors and the right size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the picture you put in the frame. And the frame looks much better white than gold.

    Looks like you're on your way to creating a great beachy bedroom :-) Have fun!!

    Kelly @ DesignTies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Sharlotte!!! How could you keep me in such suspense? I just KNEW you would have it all completed by the end of your post... oh well, now I just have to wait... it looks beautiful! Even though I'm not an official blogger... I am enjoying checking your site very frequently. You are so talented.

    Love
    Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow - the headboard looks great and so does the picture frame. The shell print is great and looks perfect in that particular frame. I may have to venture to Michaels. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, love what you've done. The white looks so good. Good look with your beachiness!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like what you did and I like the shells in the "fussy" frame! I like that kind of mix.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..oh..oh...I love the new look of that headboard! That room is going to look fantastic when you're finished with it. Great color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are just my cup of tea! I really like the frame and the art you chose! I have a beach theme, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The picture is simply divine! The frame looks so great in white. Thanks so much for sharing your story about your house, I'm so sorry! Rebuilding is questionable, because it just could happen again, right.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, this is wonderful. I like it already and can't wait to see the finished project. Great job.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the transformations you've done so far, can't wait for the finished room. I really like the shells print you put in the frame.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it awesome what a simple paint job can do? Great job!


    I have a giveaway on my blog and I'd love for you to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We'll, you and I are fellow "our child moved out and we're re-doing the room" bloggers this week. Ours didn't take 85% but she took the rug!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice - love that frame ! Great eye for detail !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful transformation. I love the frame and the picture you chose is just perfect. I'll be sharing this with my daughter..She loves anything beachy..
    hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVING your frame painted and that print! Gotta get myself to Michaels, pronto!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very nice results! White makes everything feel pretty and new.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is nothing like a beachy room to make guest truely feel like they are on a vacation
    Great job on the bed. It looks great
    Hugs
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your bed is looking so pretty and the frame has really nice detail. Good job! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. the head board looks great and the frame too. I really like the print you picked out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The frame & print are great together. Textures & surprise. Good job & Congrats on the new marriage & getting your room back. It can be fun when they move on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The white headboard is perfect for a beach look -- and yes, painting the frame was a good call. The print looks terrific in the ornate white frame -- nice choice!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very nice. You have come up with some great ideas. MM is so fun, I never know when I'll see and idea I can use~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10