Follow by Email

Sunday, August 30, 2009

From Ruins to Stardom...


I'm participating in Susan's Between Naps on the Porch Metamorphosis Monday. Please take a look at all the amazing transformations that are being shared!

For those of you who have been following my posts, you know that we had a beach house last summer. Then IKE blew through and took our house along with many others. When we went back to the island to look for our belongings, we were excited to at least find surviving seashells. I knew I wanted to do something special with them, I was just waiting for the inspiration.

During one of my trips to IKEA, I found cute little shadow boxes. I loved their size and color and for those of you who know IKEA, the price was right. So I picked up three of them.

While working on my new spare bedroom, I decided to showcase my shells in these shadow boxes. It was a quick and easy project that added the simple charm I was looking for in this room.

I took burlap scraps and covered the back board of the frame, then glued the seashell to the burlap.


After putting the frame back together, I took strips of upholstery jute and covered the dark blue strips with ribbon.



Because I didn't have any "hangers" I hot glued the jute to the back of the frame, hung it up with a nail, and I had the look.



And with a printer's tray filled with an assortment of shells, I had a finished memory wall.



This arrangement is hanging over the bed...It really "frames" things out nicely.

Thanks for visiting, I hope you enjoy your Monday.

11 comments:

  1. This is really neat, thanks for sharing! hugs from Conroe, TX!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the lok of the upholstery jute, great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I love this look!

    Happy Met Monday!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful way to showcase a shell collection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, this is so clever and so pretty. Just stunning. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely. I love that burlap banding - I used it on a laundry tub skirt.
    I love the color of yours.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Love the cutom made bands-they look awesome.

    I hope you will come by for a visit.
    Cheri
    Its So Very Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice idea for your momento shells. Hope your new beach house is even better than the last.~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love accessories that mean something personally and this certainly fits the bill! Love the burlap! They are really symbols of hope, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love seashells and the "beachy" feel... I also really like the wall color of your room. It is very serene and just plain feels good!

    Your black blog background... really makes your pictures pop!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10