Follow by Email

Friday, January 7, 2011

Kiss the Cook!

My sister and I dropped by one of our favorite antique shops and found this recipe holder.



It's simple but oh~so~cute! I'm always on the lookout for silver/silver-plate utensils and this caught my eye.

At the next stop, I found this poor little tray.



The size was perfect...all it needed was a little love...a back...and well, glass. We found it in the most unbelievable place. I would have taken a picture but it was cold and raining. It was an old gas station that was converted into a junk antique shop. There were things outside, getting wet, in the bays, and inside where things could be kept dry. Not much rhyme or reason, just stuff. Across the street was another place, a little neater. The neater side belonged to a woman, the abandoned gas station belonged to a man, her husband. We were told to make of pile of what we wanted and make a bid...no offer would be refused. Well, howdy doody, we were on a hunt! My sister found a load, I came away with more flatware ~ go figure.



It's the pattern that gets me every time!

With the recipe holder as our inspiration, we thought of a great idea for an empty spot in my kitchen...use the little tray with my newly acquired flatware and make a sign. " Kiss the Cook" is always a winner. Hm...the wheels were turning!

Wanting a simple monochromatic look, I chose two brown papers to cover a sturdy piece of cardboard. This would serve as the "back", then glued down a bit of jute to separate the two pieces of scrapbook paper.



Deciding on a font, printing in brown ink, and adding newly cut glass, I was set.



Back to the inspiration piece, I replicated the placement of the flatware and attached them to the top of the try.



She was finished, happy, and displaying a great little message.



Cooking does have its perks!

I'm linking to Susan's Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch, Stephanie Lynn's Sunday Showcase party over at Under the Table and Dreaming, Carrie at Dittle Dattle for her Amaze Me Monday, and Krista's Ready for Romance over at While He was Napping. Drop by for a visit, won't you?

9 comments:

  1. Sharlotte... your "Kiss the Cook" turned out Soooooo cute! I knew when you found that frame thingy it was going to be perfect! Love the flatware and jute and font and paper... just love the whole thing. By the way... has the cook been kissed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cute! You did a fabulous job! I'd love for you to come link it up to my Love Link Party. It would be a fantastic addition.

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now there's some serious cuteness! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea, I love the look and your choice of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new goodies Sharlotte! Oh My I really love those kind of shops and I too am ALWAYS looking for old silverware... LOVE the tray and your finished masterpiece(EVERYTHING about it!)... The fork and spoon crossed into an X(kiss) is SO Clever! Thank you for sharing your fun finds...
    Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous! I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

    Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

    ReplyDelete
  7. I almost jumped out of my chair when I saw the photo of the flatware you bought. The piece second from the right is what my Grandmother used. I think she got it from Betty Crocker maybe? I wish I could find some of that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sharlotte. What a fabulous find and I just adore what you have done with the tray. The added utensils are simply darling. Thanks so much for linking up to The Sunday showcase party - I have featured this today. Stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a coincidence! I have sets of both the patterns used in the X ! The Betty Crocker set was one my mother collected in the 1950's. The other set I purchased at an auction! I occasionally come across a stray fork or spoon to match in flea markets, & I can't pass by them. Really like the Kiss the Cook!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10