Follow by Email

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Ok, I tried it too!

Coffee filter wreaths...I've seen them so much lately in blogland and in the cutest antique shops that I decided to make one too. I like that they look so fluffy. The two basic colors I've seen are white and natural. After taking down all my Christmas decorations, I was ready for a bit of neutrality so I decided to make mine with the natural coffee filters. First I used my Google Reader to find a tutorial and found one here and here. They were great and easy to follow...love the tips too.

Here's how I made mine:



I began with a wreath that I just took apart and left the plastic wrap on {well as much as I could.}



Some of the ladies have used different sized filters and different amounts. Some used as few as 75 filters to complete their wreaths.  These were the only ones available at my grocery store and came in packages of 100. I'm notorious for not having enough of something and then having to go back out and get more...I bought two packages. In the end, I'm glad I did. I used approximately 150 filters to make my wreath.



To speed up the process, I pulled 20 or so apart at a time and then started folding and gluing.



You can gently fold them anyway you wish; I tried in half, fourths, and thirds. Varying the folds will make your wreath look truly fluffy!



Here's a shot right in the middle of the process. If a spot looks thin, just put in another filter. No worries!



I think the texture is neat.

The closer you put the filters together, the more compact it will be...the farther apart, the less compact. I experimented with both.



One of the ladies commented on how she scalded her fingers over and over. I didn't because I had this nifty tool {more about it later.}



And the finished wreath!





I tend to decorate monochromatically..and needed something else with this natural filter color.



So I added garbanzo beans to the candle pillars. I think I like it.

4 comments:

  1. Very very cute! The coffee filters look so fluffy and you are right about the texture. Your mantle is very pretty, too. Monocromatic creates a calming feel, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks gorgeous! You made it look really easy. Now spill it on the finger saving tool you used....

    Your site looks great and I love your home. Thanks for stopping by Nouveau Stitch!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE IT! and I like the natural color best... I also think it reminds me of a honeycomb... I also think it goes wonderful with the shells... Thank you for sharing...
    Hugs, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great information! I’ve been looking for something like this for a while now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10