Follow by Email

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Starfish Tassel

I LOVE tassels and have ordered great ones on Etsy, click here. Since then, I've found wonderful blogs with tassel tutorials, here, here and here. It always amazes me how creative people are in making a product. Their strategies are so varied and each tassel is unique and beautiful!

I've been in the mood to make a starfish tassel, so I combined strategies and just went for it.

I began with a candle cup I purchased from Hobby Lobby.



I took jute {4ply #72}  and made 20 or so loops approx. 8" long. I secured the top with a small length of just and clipped the loops at the opposite end. I used the secured end and stuffed it into the candle cup with a small drop of hot glue. After it had dried, I untwisted each strand of jute, separating into four strands...I wanted a natural base for the starfish.



{Kinda looks like a jellyfish, doesn't it?}





After fluffing this jute I added various ribbons at different lengths to add volume. At this point, it's just a matter of what you like and how full you like your tassel.


On top of these ribbons, I wound more jute around the cap, covering all edges. I could have stopped at this point, but I decided to add more fringe. I put on three layers, two brown and one off white. When I felt the tassel was full enough, I added the starfish on top and another piece of jute on the back in which to hang him.



Just for fun, I added a few small shells on various ribbons.


Image all the possibilities! Be sure to check out all the links above, the tassels these ladies have made are absolutely gorgeous! As I go back to visit, I find myself looking around my home thinking, hm...where else can I add a tassel?

I'm linking to Susans' Between Naps on the Porch for her Metamorphasis Monday. Be sure to stop by to visit!

I'm also linking with The Nesting Place...You'll LOVE this blog too. Please visit for LOADS of inspiration!

33 comments:

  1. Sharlotte, that's one of the prettiest ones I've seen! The texture of it is amazing...I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy
    Simply amazing !
    Love your blog .
    Until next time
    Happy Trails

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is WONDERFUL !! Love what you did. Now I'll be coo-coo to make one for myself just to see if I can do it. Very very nice. Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely twist on the tassel theme. I hadn't seen one like that and I love it. Love decorating with shells.Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharlotte, I am amazed! How delightful!!!
    smiles, alice

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW...another cool coastal item...luv it! Come by and check out my new post...you have been featured...hope you will grab my cute little starfih button for your blog:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that tassel! I haven't seen a starfish one before. Might have to try to do one of those for my little beach place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did a fantastic job and it looks just as good as any of the tassels I've purchased from The Tassel House. Way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks great~!! you did a fantastic job on that.

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for sharing this! I saw another tutorial on tassels, but LOVE yours!!
    Have a blessed day!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a gorgeous tassel. I love it. The use of the jute is so cute. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. My, my this is simply beautiful!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your tassle. I am still in FL and must look for a starfish so I can use your wonderful tutorial when I return home. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I love this! I love anything beach related and your tassel is beautiful and beachy!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sharlotte! My daughter and I once made a seashell bedside table together... with the help of a tutorial from "Tales from an OC Cottage" blog! This tassel would be gorgeous to add to her room now, if I can make her one, so thank you for YOUR tutorial! Very pretty! Love the starfish! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the tutorial, I often wondered how these were made. Your's is beautiful.

    thanks for the kind comment on my cloche and the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, Sharlotte that is so pretty. You are right, there are many different versions and this one I like alot! Let your imagine go wild! Thanks for highlighting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it, so is the starfish glued to the front of the candle holder? can you still see it behind the starfish? I've never thought to do them like that, great idea. and thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You certainly don't need to buy any tassels when you can make fabulous ones. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing how you made it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The starfish tassel is beautiful! I love your choice of ribbons.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow, I love that tassel. You did a great job on it! I am now in the mood for summer! =) Thanks for sharing! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's adorable! And you've given me a new idea. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. So pretty! You should be selling tassels instead of buying them!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So pretty! Love the starfish.

    Hope you'll drop by AtticMag to give JaneT some advice on making a bench from a vintage bed. #81 on Met Monday.

    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great job....I tried to make one once...it wasn't the best. Thanks for coming by and encouraging me....I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love, love, love your tassel! It's perfect! Is it all held together with hot glue?

    ReplyDelete
  27. your tassel is amazing. i'm loving it for summer! thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My kind of tassel...all beachy and cute! I love this! Thanks for sharing how you made it!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm still lovin yours best! So, so beautiful...just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So Lovely!!!! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous tassel w/ us!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is beautiful... Coming from the South and in the area of the Home of the Mermaids. Weeki Wachee, Florida... I always look for things like this .... Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10