Follow by Email

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Lacy White

Today's table is all about keeping cool.
Here in Houston, the temps have been in the low 100's with the heat index in the 112 range.
It sounds bad, but you kinda get used to it,
kinda.
Or you learn how to deal with it.

One way, is to stay indoors during the heat of the day and make a tablescape.
That's always loads of fun!

Thank goodness these two ladies graciously have a weekly party where we can all keep cool,
relax, and enjoy each other's creative work:
Kathleen over at Cuisine Kathleen for Let's Dish 
and 

Drop by for loads of inspiration, won't you?

Before we begin, I just wanted to let you know that I'm working with my son's camera 
and doing a bit of experimenting. 
(That's why there are a lot of pics in this post.)

So in trying to stay cool, 
I decided to use these "new" white dishes I picked up 
from one of my favorite shops.
There were a lot of them, most in very good shape.
It's too hot to use a fussy tablecloth, so a vintage lace piece was used.
I liked seeing the table through the cloth...seemed a bit "cooler."


These edges of the plates looked so friendly, I think this set could be used formally or causally.
Next time, I'm thinking daises...
or for a change, adding the color RED!
But for now,
I'm staying with cool, neutrals.



Using linen napkins and a sprig from our yard,
 the fussiness of all the "bling" was hopefully scaled down a bit.


The jute rings were for the two end settings,
the crystal rings were for the inside four settings.


It's okay to mix and match right? It makes things a bit more interesting...
well, that's my excuse for only having 4 crystal rings.

Then there is the mixed flatware. 
This also helps to add "casualness" to the table, right?


Since there were more pieces to this set than what is at each place setting, 
the extra bowls were placed on a tiered plate rack to be used for dessert.
(homemade ice cream)
The wicker really set the tone for the table.

Now for candles...
hm...
I had these decanters just sitting around and wondered if they would work.
With a little wrapping of foil and wax paper around the base of the candles, they fit perfectly.
The bobeches were just added for a little sparkle in the summer sun.


The stemware pieces came in a set of six, perfect for this table and had a beautiful etched design.
They look like Imperial Candlewick or Anchor Hocking.


Do you see the small candle holders that have the same design?


Here's a shot of the entire table...


and again of the place setting.


I thought this was a neat shot.
See the top of the tiered plate stand?
The tops of the decanters are in there with a lace doily.



The cups and saucers were also included...
very dainty.



I hope you enjoyed my table and that you've gotten cool!
I'm leaving with one parting shot,
enjoy!

Thanks for visiting!
In case you are interested:

Dishes: J&G Meakin England - Classic White - thrifted
Flatware: antique shoppe
Napkins: Save On Crafts - online
Crystal Napkin Rings: Tuesday Morning
Jute Napkin Rings: homemade
Lace Tablecloth: vintage family heirloom
Decanters: wedding gifts, thrifted
Bobeches: home decor shoppe
Tiered Place Rack: thrifted
Stemware: thrifted
Small Candleholders: thrifted


16 comments:

  1. How cool and refreshing using these lovely white dishes! The lace tablecloth is wonderful for a summery feel. You were so fortunate to find the china and so many pieces. The crystal pieces used in the centerpiece makes it very airy. Have a great week!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced that nobody does white and neutral like you. Seriously, it's sort of a signature style of yours in my head. This one is particularly elegant to me. I love the china, and I love the crystal on the table too. (I want some of those candlesticks now. )

    It's beautifully quiet if that makes sense.

    I hope you're enjoying your son's camera and can give some good experience and tips when you get used to using a schmancy one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharlotte, your pictures are absolutely gorgeous! And I agree with Debbie, that white and neutral is your signature. Calming, peaceful, serene. Just beautiful! I love the mix and matching of the flatware and the napkin rings. The china is so pretty. Have never seen that pattern. The edges are so unique.

    Keep working with the camera. You are making really really fast progress in learning how to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharlotte. oh I hear you on those 100+ temps!! The dog days of summer have arrived. And I hope gone away!! Your table is a wonderful reprieve from the ugly temps. I love the lace tablecloth. What a great find on the dishes. I really love this table. Lace, white dishes, decanters as candle holders.. wicker.. all the pieces that speak to me. It came together soo beautifully. xo marlis

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfectly cool table. Perfect for summer.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the all white table is simple quiet and stunning...Love the lace and the ruffly dishes, paired with the crystal it is so beautiful...thanks for sharing this beautiful table...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your doing a great job with the new camera. Hope you can me some tips also. I like how you mixed the things on your table. White always seems so clean and bright. Elegant table!

    Cathy's Cupboard Calamity <;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful...and so cool! We're having the same type of heat here in MS, so I know what you mean!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sharlotte - what could be more classic than white dishes with crystal accessories?? Great new dishes and I love that lacy tablecloth that adds so much texture. When you add food to this table, it will really show up well, which is one of the reasons that I like white dishes. Thanks for the tip, about adding foil to the bottom of candles to make them fit into some candle holders. I have used so much different solutions for that problem and I will definitely try this one!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very cooling white table. Love it and love the mix of napkin rings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sharlotte,
    Your table is gorgeous. I love your white dishes and the neutrals you used. and it does indeed invoke a sense of coolness which most of us need this time of year. I am pinning this one and becoming your newest follower..hope you will follow me too...thanks for a beautiful table..those dishes were a great find!
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sharlotte! I am just down the road (59) from you in Victoria. We just moved here about ten days ago. We have the same weather as you do. Love your cool white table and the lovely flatware too. I am your newest follower. Stop by for a visit sometime.

    Big Texas Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad to hear from you! If you are ever in DFW let me know for you have my email. I would love to have a coke or tea with you!!!!!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sharlotte,
    I am moving to Houston as soon as our house sells! I just read the comment from AshTreeCottage! Small world.....Maybe we should all get together some time.
    I love your all white table. It is very refreshing. Your dishes are very pretty and I love, love your tablecloth!
    Blessings My Friend,

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your cool white tablescape! Hope you get some cooler weather soon.

    Take care,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning and so elegant!...Christine

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10