Follow by Email

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Show and Tell Friday


Welcome to Show and Tell Friday. {Thanks to Kelli for hosting this event.} Grab a second cup of coffee and visit her and the other participants as they share pictures and stories about their treasures!

My grandparents were very special to me. I was lucky enough to be able to spend quality time with them as I lived only a few miles away. It was fun to listen to their stories and watch their eyes light up as they relived their past.

Both my grandmother and grandfather were from a time where nothing was discarded...things were not wasted. Because of this, they both had collections of all sorts. My grandmother, being quite the seamstress, tended to keep things she "might" need for her next outfit. My grandfather like to collect keys, watches, clocks, or other small mechanical objects. He was quite an inventor. With some of his findings, he'd construct an entirely new item. Thrifty would be the word that comes to mind. Hm...looks like it's gone full circle. I've always been conservative, but since I've become a blogger, I've become even more so {...but that's another post...}

The item I'd like to show you today is something I've made from my grandparents' collections. It's a pin that displays buttons from my grandmother. She kept a jar full - it included all sizes, colors, and styles. They'd be recycled from garments that were no longer needed and reused on new pieces she lovingly made.



Also included on this pin is a skeleton key from my grandfather's collection. I just love the shape of these keys - aren't they neat? As mentioned above, my grandfather also tended to clocks. He had drawers upon drawers of the internal and external workings: gears, faces, hands, etc. These too were all sizes, shapes, and designs. I can still see him today, hands ever steady, working diligently on his next project.


I proudly wear this pin, it's always a conversation starter. I love telling the story of my treasured grandparents.

12 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing!!! What a gift of design you have. I love it.

    My show n tell is now posted. Come by if you can find time today. I'd love your company! Happy Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that is really nice what a wonderful keepsake you made ! Great Job ~Blessings Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special keepsake of treasures! I especially love the key!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello...

    Ohhh my...what a beautiful pin with so many treasured keepsakes from your Grandma and Grandpa! This is such a grand idea...a memory keepsake pin!!! I love the little clock faces and pretty buttons...and I agree about the skeleton keys...love the shape of them!!! Thank you for sharing your treasure with us today...I just think this is the neatest idea!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  5. My parents were the same way about hanging onto things. We had quite a time going through 60 years of stuff.
    I love your pin. I have the instuctions for making these in my purse so that my next visit to the hobby shop, I can pick up some of that clay 'stuff'. Your piece is more special because the items have a story to tell.
    Thanks for showing it.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was very interesting and a sweet way to remember. I loved your blog and look forward to seeing what you share in the future.
    God bless,

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a treasure! I'll bet your Grandmother would have loved it. Very creative.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely treasure, especially with such a great family history.

    Thanks for sharing, hi from N Ireland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's very creative and wonderful. Love those pretty buttons.
    Have a great weekend

    ♥Ita

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love what you created with the treasures from your grandparents. Mine were very special to me as well, so I can relate to what you are saying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first visit to your blog and I'm so delighted. The brooch is wonderful! I've made several button/bead brooches for myself in different colors, but nothing as meaningful as yours. What a treasure you have in mementoes, but more importantly in memories. Very clever.

    Carla

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10