Follow by Email

Friday, July 12, 2013

But What If?

Well, if you've been following along, you know we've just finished moving into our new home. 
Things have been in complete disarray... 
and I've tried to be very selective in what stays and what goes.
At first, I was brutal.
But, after a few weeks have passed, 
I find myself going back into the
"maybe" boxes
and
are you ready for this?
Yep, 
dragging things back out 
because I just can't get rid of "it" yet.

I know, I know...
I have 
"but what if" 
issues.

You know the one...
"...but what if I need that fabric for something" 
or 
"...but what if I think of a way to use that old basket?"

Take for instance these vintage drawer pulls.



They have been packed away for at least 40+ years in my stash of stuff.

That old saying, "... if you haven't used it in the past, you don't need it now," goes through my head a lot. 
BUT,
sometimes I've regretting letting things go.
So finding a new place for these pulls was a must.

You see, my grandmother was a saver. 
She was also a historian. 
Everything she felt needed labels, she labeled.
Just look at this:


Toss these babies? 
No way.
Think, Sharlotte, think...
...hm...
I just happen to have an old filing cabinet, 
and I need a filing cabinet.
It needs a new coat of paint and updated or should I say "outdated" pulls.
Do you see where this is going?
Yep, the vintage pulls were a perfect fit
and 
they really gave my old filing cabinet new life.


perfect.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the way that your grandmother cherished her "things". I am afraid that I am somewhat of an historian (I was a History major in college!), as well. I have an inventory list of just my tableware that is 105 pages long and lists all of the information that I know about each piece. However, I love the handwritten notes. What treasures. Love this and the way that you used the pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great decision to have kept the vintage pulls all these years! They look darling on your file cabinet. It's hard to know what to keep and what to toss when it comes to items from your heritage... do you remember the item as a child? ..does it hold happy memories for you? ..do you have a place to store these items if you don't you're not presently using it? Lots to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you made it up to Cannon Beach...there is a great shop there called Sesame and Lilies that I'm certain you would love. The whole town which is tiny is such a great place to be and the beach is awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10