Follow by Email

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Transforming "throw aways"...


I'm a softy...I admit it.
I've been that way my entire life...
my skin is paper thin.
I cry easily...
and always root for the underdog.

Where is this leading?
Well,
when I saw these wooden pieces at a resale store,
I couldn't just leave them there feeling unloved.


No, not this one...
it looked like a little piece of furniture, right?
A little jewelry armoire.


Inside was a place for necklaces, rings, earrings, and even a drawer.

And then there was this guy.


I don't know why it caught my attention but I thought he was kinda cute.
(And there are two drawers that should have made it in this picture.)

I wanted these pieces to have a second chance,
so someone would love them,
and would want to keep them forever.

So, the tools came out:
screwdriver
sander
paint
and the fun began.

Are you ready for the transformations?


The jewelry box was painted and distressed... 
the plastic "windows" of the doors were replaced with metal screening material.


(Don't the hangers for necklaces remind you of little chandeliers?)
Anyway...
The back wall was covered with bead board wallpaper.


And the rest of the "velvet" fabric was painted.


I think she looks updated and really cute.
(I'm still loving that screening!)

Now for the little shelf:


At first I thought it would make a precious little chair...
too curvy for a little boy,
perhaps better for a little girl...and it could be pink...
but
I don't have any little ones around my house.
And I'd want to sew a pillow...
but I'm not very good at sewing pillows.
So, I went with plan B:
a message center.


My sister suggested adding containers to hold clips and such...
well, how about two!


Yes, I think that's much better...
a whimsical place 
to keep track of all that important stuff  information on my kitchen counter.

Two for two...I was on a roll.

Then there was this last piece that needed to be rescued...
a duck basket.
It was painted "folk artsy" red/blue/green with little dotted flowers...
cute, but not the direction I was headed.

Here's the "after the paint" picture:
(yep, forgot to take the "before" picture)


At this stage, jute was added...


a simple burlap flower for each side,


and polka dot craft paper to line the bottom.
(Doesn't anything with polka dots make you smile?)
 Much better, right?
Yes, I think so too!

I'm joining Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch for her Metamorphosis Monday.
Drop by for loads of inspiration, you won't be disappointed!



3 comments:

  1. I have an old jewelry box just like that! You have just inspired me to make it over! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jewelry box looks charming in it's white distressed finish, but forgive me for saying it, I just love the little shelf!! I actually covet it's beautiful practicality and charm. The point is. This piece is exactly what I need to help organize my desk. I love it. I want one. Now I will have to stalk the thrift stores to find a little shelf like this one so I can rescue it.

    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very, very cute projects, Sharlotte! All three are just precious. The update is just great... it seems that anything white just looks superb! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10