Follow by Email

Friday, October 4, 2013

Thought for the Day...habits.

Welcome to Thought for the Day.
Today's verses comes from our pastor's message this past week.
It was something that I needed to hear, so I thought I'd share it with you today.

Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; 
rather, train yourself to be godly.
I Timothy 4:7

I picked up on the word "train" because there is a lot of talk about physical training, 
whether it's for an athletic event or for health reasons.
With all this said, however, physical health is susceptible to disease and injury.
But spiritual exercising is different. 
Having faith can sustain us through these injuries or even tragedies.

Training ourselves to be godly takes practice to become a habit. 
We can develop our faith by using our God given abilities in service of God.
This can be shown through our actions or service to community or to our church.

Now, developing those habits takes a bit of work.
How long does it take for an action to become a habit?
Some say 30 days, 60 days...several months. 
I'm not sure, but I know for myself, 
that if I'm not keenly aware of my actions, 
I tend to slip back into old habits.
ugh...

"For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age"
Titus 2:11-12

So how do we develop spiritually?
Ask God for help.
He's there ready to be asked, in fact He's waiting to be asked! 
That's the beauty of all this...there is nothing too small or too great for Him.
And here I go again, sometimes I think my requests are too small 
to bother such a great and powerful God.
But what I'm really thinking is that I can handle this and don't need God's help.
What foolish thinking!
I'm more powerful than God?
I don't need him?
Absolutely NOT!

 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, 
and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 6:33

It's really a spiritual exercise; turn to God for help, to fill your thoughts and desires, to take his character for your pattern, and to serve and obey him in everything.

Next week we'll continue the subject of "habits"...
and this week 
I'm going to continue to practice going to God for everything, big and small.
You can too, He's there waiting for all of us!

Have a blessed weekend!

I use the Life Application Study Bible, New International Version (NIV) printed by Zondervan


2 comments:

  1. I may be late on a regular basis, but I'm so glad to have come. This is excellent in about a dozen different ways. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Debbie. It's so easy to slip back to old ways. And God is with us 24/7. He is so accessible to us for prayers and more prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10