Follow by Email

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Fall Pumpkin

Today I'm sharing a little metamorphosis with a $1.00 plastic pumpkin.
It began like this:


and was transformed to this.


Thanks to Kelly over at Eclectically Vintage for the inspiration! 
She has several neat ideas for fall on this post.

Kelly used beautiful mums inside her pumpkin planter, I decided to use a different plant.
Mine ending up looking like Wilson.
You know, Wilson from Tom Hank's Castaway!

source

ugh...Not what I was going for.
So I took Kelly's basic instructions and tweaked things a bit for my project.

I used diluted Elmer's Glue (Mod Podge would most likely work too),


approximately 10 sheets of music cut into strips for each pumpkin,


and immersed the strips into the diluted glue mixture.
Be sure to cover your work surface because it gets messy.
Then take each strip and "glue" it to your pumpkin.
I didn't want any of the green to show, so I gave my guys two layers of strips.
The strips above were used for the first layer because they were the edges of the sheet music and had blank sections.
For the second layer, I wanted more notes to show so I used the "busier" strips.


After the strips dried, I diluted acrylic paint and gave the pumpkins a little color.


After this dried, I added my plant....and...I wasn't pleased with the look at all.
Kelly's were so pretty with mums...
but...I didn't have any on hand. 

See, I told you, it looks like Wilson's brother.
My husband even agreed.

Plan B.
I needed something to cover the gaping hole at the top of the pumpkin...
hm...
 I just happen to have small paper plates that were fairly sturdy...
and
they just happen to be the perfect size, well, after I trimmed them a bit.

These were covered too with strips and allowed to dry.
Next a hole was cut out of the middle of the plate


 and a couple of sticks stem was inserted and glued in place.


Adding a little jute to the stems, moss to cover the plate, and burlap leaves, I was feeling better.

And for something a little extra, tendrils were added.
They are very simple to make:
immerse the jute into the diluted glue mixture and wrap around a straw.
(Secure them in place with straight pins.)


After they are dry, simply glue them into place with your hot glue.


Much better.
Thanks again Kelly for the original inspiration!

I'm joining these parties:
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday

6 comments:

  1. You did an excellent job! I would have never guessed the pumpkin used to be green! Love the idea of the sheet music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love this! So cute, thanks for sharing, visiting from BNOP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Much better" is right! I love it, so perfect with the sheet music and your pictures are gorgeous!!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I love this pumpkin!!! And I love that you took one of those very inexpensive pumpkins to create something so beautiful! I really like the sheet music...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10