Follow by Email

Friday, September 6, 2013

Thought for the day...working.

Welcome to...Thought for the Day.
It comes from my study of the Bible and things I'd like to share.
I hope you follow along each Friday.

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody."    
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

When I read these verses today, they really struck a chord. 
I have a quiet life, minding my own business (except for blogging, Facebook, Instagram - well maybe I need to work on this...) and working with  my hands. 
It was the last part about being independent that made me think twice. 
What exactly does that mean?
I'm basically independent, however I like to be dependent at times too, is this wrong?

But after reading the "explanation" in my Bible it stated:
"...some of the Thessalonian Christians had adopted a life of idleness, depending on others for handouts. So Paul told them to work hard and live a quiet life. You can't be effective in sharing your faith with others if they don't respect you. Whatever you do, do it faithfully and be a positive force in society."

So, it's really all about personal responsibility.
Needing help isn't what this is referring to, 
rather it's being idle 
and
 expecting people to do things for you.
And it's about sharing our faith.
There are so many people who don't really know Jesus 
and I believe it's part of our mission to tell/show others about Him.

I don't feel I have the gift for actually ministering to people, but I can certainly show people through my actions that I am indeed a Christian. And maybe someone will see those actions and think, "...she must be a Christian, I want to be one too."
Perhaps that's what this verse means.  

Hm...just a thought for the day.
Have a wonderful weekend!


I use the Life Application Study Bible, New International Version (NIV) printed by Zondervan
Click here for more information.

3 comments:

  1. Sharlotte
    this has always been a favorite verse for me.
    I think the interpretation is right on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your insight on these thoughts. My greatest fear is to become dependent on others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!

    Did I use enough of these things (!!!) to get my point across? I'm actually not a fan of the repetitive exclamation point, being an old grammar and writing teacher and all, but I just couldn't help myself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10