Follow by Email

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Look at these babies!

I have been reading a lot about hydrangeas lately on so many blogs...many of you have gorgeous, well~established plants, others of you live where they grow wild. How wonderful it must be to see these beauties regularly!
I have always loved hydrangeas too. They remind me of my grandmother, she had pink ones. I love their big moppy heads and the fact that they can either be pink or blue depending on the acidity of the soil.
Read more about the specifics here.


I know they also come in {or can change to} a variety of other colors, but I'm really interested in these two colors.
I bought my first ever hydrangea plant today and I'm so excited. It was from a well know nursery so it should be healthy. Now...to plant or not. I originally was going to keep it in a container but now I'm concerned it wouldn't do it's thing...spread, grow, and bloom. My yard is about the size of a postage stamp and the perimeter is already pretty much taken with shrubs and such. I could always carve out a niche for it...hm...can't decide.
I live in Zone 8 {close to Houston, Texas} and from everything I've read, it needs morning sun and afternoon shade.
For all you experienced gardeners out there...any suggestions...container or ground?

            http://www.digitalphotoartistry.com/

7 comments:

  1. How gorgeous Sharlotte.
    Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are truly picture perfect! Dry a few to remember it by! I enjoy your blog so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sharlotte,
    Oh I do love hydrangeas too! How about one in the garden and one in a container...lol!
    I have one in the yard that has bloomed this year in blue. I will say they are very sturdy, because it has survivied snow, frigid temps here in the Atlanta area.
    My container hydrangea has more of a violet tint to it & it came back too!

    Have fun~~you can't go wrong:)

    Hugs,
    Lynn♥

    ~Let FREEDOM Ring!~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharlotte! Thanks for commenting on dad and our little chipmunk!

    I planted my first hydrangea plant last fall. It was just a small one I picked up at our local supermarket so I wasn't sure what to expect. It did, in fact, make it through our brutal New England winter but it has not bloomed yet! That may take a few years, I don't know. But I'm happy that it at least popped out of the ground in the spring! We also planted two climbing hydrangeas, and they are growing (slowly) with nary a blossom to be seen (yet).

    Your proile reminded me of me! Anytime I'm channel surfing and come across You've Got Mail or Under the Tuscan Sun, I immediately stop and watch them. Doesn't matter how many times I've seen them! They are two of my favorites! And music - ditto - depends on the mood and boy, do I have a variety of music I love!

    Have a good weekend! ... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, thanks for stopping by. This year my one bush had three different colored hydrangeas...go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Your hydrangeas are gorgeous!!! Ours have not even bloomed yet. Great pics!
    ~ Julie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10