Follow by Email

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Workstation turned Buffet

After watching so many talented and creative bloggers out there in blogland, I finally got up my nerve to tackle a "painted furniture" project.

I had a need for more storage and looked everywhere for an old buffet. I search thrift stores, eBay, Craigslist...but I wasn't having any luck. Being on a very tight budget, I knew that whatever I found would probably need a lot of work.
It seems I was just hitting one brick wall after another.
Then one afternoon,
I thought about a cabinet I've had in my garage{for over 15 years.}
It belonged to my grandfather as his workstation. He was a minister and tinkered with clocks and watches as a hobby.


When he moved, we took it to our home and my husband used it for his workstation.

{As you can tell, he has a few projects himself!}

It was sturdy, in fairly good shape and had tons of storage. So I grabbed my tape measure and found a spot in my den. Kinda an unconventional place to put it but I had a wall grouping that wasn't working.
So I thought, why not?

After a few more measurements, I moved it out and clear it off.


It was definitely going to need some work.


I loved the label plates but not the formica top.

This was the look I was going for:


Love this island...the colors, the stained top.

Ok, I was ready.
First step...


...taking off the aluminum trim.
Then priming and sanding,
painting and sanding.




While things were drying, I started making labels for each drawer. Searching on Windows Word, I found a font that I liked and printed the numbers I needed. Because the paper was thin, I ModPodged the papers to an old folder to add weight and thickness. Applying several coats on top would also protect the numbers as the drawers were being used.


From the inspiration piece, I knew I wanted a stained top. We purchased a piece of birch plywood, stain grade. It was the the most expensive part of the project, about $42.

My husband cut the top, mitered the edges, and sanded everything down with steel wool. Next, he applied several coats of stain, with a light sanding of 220 grit sandpaper between each coat. I knew that I would be decorating the top or actually using it for a buffet, so 3 coats of Poly were applied as the final step.


After bringing the new project into the house and attaching the top, I lined the drawers...



...and put the label plates back on their original spot. I added the numbers and everything was set.



I love this piece, not only for the storage, but because it has a story...a family story.





Thanks so very much for visiting...enjoy your day!

I'm linking with Susan for her Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch.
Be sure to drop by for loads of amazing transformations!

21 comments:

  1. I love it! What a great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that this is a special piece for you. You both did a lovely job on it! How great to have all that new storage. I like the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, Sharlotte! It's wonderful! You really have vision! I love the numbers and the wood finished top really adds punch! Great job!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a lovely piece of furniture you made from this! How special to that it belonged to your family member! Now what are you going to put into all of your drawers? :) I love your pretty fonts for your numbers!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great piece. And for your first try at painted furniture it turned out awesome. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sharlotte that is an incredible transformation. Love absolutely everything about it. Looks perfect in its new home.
    Jane T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow this is beautiful and how nice it was your grandfathers
    You did an amazing job

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now this is one of THE BEST transformations I've seen EVER! It is so wonderful that it belonged to your grandfather before! I love it!

    Big TX Hugs,
    Stephanie
    Angelic Accents

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a unique piece...you did a beautiful job and I'm sure it will bring lots of smiles and beautiful memories!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This just turned out so beautiful! I love pieces that tell a story! Three Pixie Lane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful project, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow!! i love this, and am SO jealous of all your awesome storage!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My guess is that Grandfather would be very pleased. That turned out fabulous. From here on out I am going straight to the garage at all estate sales now. Perhaps a wonderful grandfather type piece will await for me there. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Hugs
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a gorgeous re-use of that old cabinet! I love how it turned out. The numbers on the drawers is such a nice touch (those were a lot of drawers to paint). It's now a really beautiful buffet!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karen of Garden, Home and Party...
    That is amazing. You did such a beautiful job and it looks fantastic. How wonderful to have a piece that has so much history and yet serves a purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your project turned out just awesome. It's wonderful, beautiful, and practical. I'm always too scared to undertake such a large project...maybe I'll eventually try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Uh...WOW what a transformation! Pieces with a story are always the best in my book.

    Kendra “Domestic Princess in Training”

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is absolutely brilliant---and beautiful!

    I'm not at all handy or crafty or any of those talented things, but this is so very wonderful, I can see and imagine every step.

    Gives me hope for that huge wallful of drawers from an old feed store---it's been in our garage for about twenty years . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazing transformation! Who'd have thought...a grungy old workbench would turn into such a gorgeous buffet. I love the stained top and the arched finger holes to pull the doors open. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm just reading back in your blog and absolutely LOVE your workstation turned buffet!!!! How fantastic that it is an old family piece that has been repurposed! That makes it SO very special! You did a beautiful job!... Donna

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a wonderful makeover. I just love it. It has tons of character!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10