Follow by Email

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Desert Rose...

Do you have a set of these dishes?



Chances are fairly good that you might have a set tucked away 
somewhere in your stash.

Yes, they are Franciscan's Desert Rose,
I've read that they are, and have been, the most popular pattern in America.


These particular dishes, the ones on my table, are actually from my maternal and paternal grandmothers.
This pattern was their pick when they were young (most likely when the pattern first came out.)
Or they could be from my mother's set when she and my father married in the 1950's.

It's obvious Desert Rose is a family favorite...
 but I wasn't even interested in joining the tradition.


Silly me...
because now, they are indeed a favorite.


They are a happy pattern...


perfect for spring time,
don't you think?



Thanks for dropping by!
I'm joining Susan over at Between Naps on the Porch for her
Be sure to visit there as well for loads of inspiration!


Fun facts about this pattern.
Franciscan Desert Rose hand-painted earthenware is an American classic that, according to Bob Page and Dale Frederiksen, authors of "Franciscan: an American Dinnerware Tradition," is one of the most popular china patterns in history.



  1. Identification

    • Franciscan desert rose broad-rimmed plates feature scalloped edges. Pink roses and green leaves sit in relief upon a cream ground. Flowers are joined by briar-lined vines around the rim edge.

    Gladdings McBean

    • Franciscan's parent, Gladdings, McBean & Co. (GMcB) was founded as a Los Angeles clay building products manufacturer in 1875. GMcB developed malinite, the basis for its creamy-colored earthenware in 1928.

    Franciscan

    • With the acquisition of Tropico Pottery in 1922 and Catalina Pottery in 1937, GMcB entered the pottery business. The Franciscan pottery line premiered in 1934 and the FDR pattern was introduced in 1941 after Franciscan's 1940 "Apple."

    Changes

    • In 1984, FDR molds and production lines were moved to England by their new owners, Wedgewood Ltd. In 1987, the pattern was acquired by Johnson Brothers, who produced a limited line of 60th anniversary pattern pieces in 2001. All production moved to China by 2004.

    Considerations

    • The malinite formula or original Franciscan molds are not used in Chinese-produced FDR dinnerware. Antique stores and replacement clearinghouses offer many American and English pieces.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Sharlotte: Like you my parents had this set for our kitchen dishes. I loved it as a kid (especially the salt and pepper shakers) and still like it now. I see it at antique stores and part of me wants to buy the set, but we have so many I can never justify it. I loved seeing how you used it. Perfect for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always loved this pattern and purchased a set of it about fifteen years ago from Rich's. As much as I love my set, I really like the look of the older pieces. It was interesting to read about the history of this pattern. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not own these dishes, Sharlotte, but I have seen them in other people's homes almost all of my life. The pattern is an iconic American one and the colors are lovely. Thanks for showing us your pieces in this beautiful setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a full set that I received when my mother-in-law passed. I like you did not care for them. Sold every last piece on EBay. BUT>>>I not have another almost full set of 8 that I have bought at recent auctions sale. Funny thing I really do like them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pattern! Interesting how china patterns run in families! You are lucky to have such pretty, yet useful heirlooms!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just inherited a set from a grandmother that I never had the chance to know. It's not what I would choose for myself, but now that I have it, I want to use it to honor the family history. Strangely, it's growing on me! Your photographs have given me great inspiration for how to set a table with it that looks gracious and current.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10