Follow by Email

Monday, August 27, 2012

It Worked!

disclaimer:
I am not a professional painter nor do I sell anything I make. I'm just an average person who loves to try things on her own and find alternatives to ignite my imagination!

Ok...with that said, I tried chalk paint...not the famous brand...a homemade batch. I don't have a stockist close to me, so I thought I'd give the "knock off" formulas a try. And do you know what? I think it worked! (I haven't used the "real" stuff and I'm sure it's amazing.)

I found my formula searching through the internet. You can find it here. It was very easy...I used paint I already had and bought Plaster of Paris at Home Depot. I did splurge on a new paint brush: Purdy. I must admit it was worth the price; if you haven't used them before, you might want to give this brand a try.

All this to say, I have a few large pieces that will soon need repainting and before I tackle the "big" jobs,  I thought I'd give this paint a trial run:


I picked up this plant stand at GW for a few dollars...it was in need of some attention.


Following the above formula, I mixed the Plaster of Paris and water then added paint. 
It looked like the examples on line...so far so good.


On the left is one coat...on the right is two coats.


After the final coat it looked better.
The finish is "chalky" due to the Plaster of Paris. You could stop at this point, that's what's so neat about this stuff...very versatile.
However, 
I wanted to try distressing:


The paint worked very well...it stuck to the wood without any priming or sanding. And when I did sand, only the paint that was roughed up came off. 

As I said before, I think it worked!




 After distressing, I did add wax to seal everything...it was easy too and gave the piece a slight gloss.
(With the help of the salesperson at Home Depot, she suggested I use Johnson Paste Wax. 
It was great and worked just fine.)
If you'd like to try this yourself and have any questions, just send a question via the comments. 

I have another piece I'm going to experiment with...


 I'll keep you posted!

I'm joining Metamorphosis Monday over at Between Naps on the Porch. Be sure to drop by for loads of inspiration!

5 comments:

  1. Great job looks very good, I have been thinking about trying chalk paint too and I just might after seeing your results.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks great Sharlotte.. Just as good as the high prices stuff. I did this paint technique on my nite stand which doesnt always get used gently and its held up for almost a year. I still have enough pap n paint to do 5 or 6 more pieces.

    its wonderful to make something so pretty on a bargain..
    enjoy your lovely plant stand and I'll be watching for the chair when you post it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I hate painting actually and I am not good at it either. But however, your painting job looks great! Love the finished look. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been dying to try the chalk paint too, and just like you I want to try the DIY recipes. I think your little table looks just plain wonderful.

    We're going through something unexpected around here that makes it difficult to breath let alone paint right now. I'm praying things pass soon. I am anxious to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10