Follow by Email

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Mississippi Mud Cake


This is one of my favorite cakes so I was thrilled to receive this variation from Southern Living.
It's quick and easy to make, even for a novice like myself.
AND...it's a YUMMY treat for these crisp Fall days!

1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup butter
1 {4 ounce} semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 {10.5 ounce} bag miniature marshmallows
Chocolate Frosting {see below}

1. Place pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted.
3. Microwave 1 cup butter and semisweet chocolate in a large microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute or until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
4. Whisk sugar and next 5 ingredients into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch jelly-roll pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle evenly with miniature marshmallows; bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until goldern brown. Drizzle warm cake with Chocolate Frosting and sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans.

Chocolate Frosting

1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 {16 ounce} package powdered sugar
1 teaspooon vanilla extract

Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened; remove from heat. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until smooth.

Makes 15 servings
Prep time: 15 min.
Bake time: 40 min.


I'm joining Foodie Friday over at Designs by Gollum. Be sure to drop by for scrumptious delights!


Thanks for dropping by to visit, enjoy your day!

5 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...looks so good! It's been such a long time since I have had this...maybe I should try this recipe:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, your picture is fabulous. I could crawl through the screen to get a bite of these. Wow, they will be on our treat list. Sunday would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you believe I've never made, or even had, Mississippi Mud Cake? It's true. I guess I'll have to fix that problem, now won't I?

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. I printed your recipe! The kids (and Tony) are going to love this!!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my-that looks heavenly. I have made this once before but your recipe looks much yummier.

    Best wishes always,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10