Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Terrific Talavera!




I'm participating in Susan's Between Naps on the Porch Tablescape Thursday. Be sure to stop by to see all the gorgeous tables!


Here in SE Texas, Mexico is a relatively quick trip. Growing up, we enjoyed vacationing at South Padre Island and then crossing to the small border towns to shop markets for treasures.The people were so very friendly and eager to sell their wares. Since I was born in The Valley, it's like a second home. Here in the Houston area,  Mexican food is a weekly staple. We have many local restaurants that serve excellent TexMex food.

The colorful dishes are Talavera, handmade pottery purchased from Mexico.



If you ever have the chance to purchase any pieces and plan on using them for food items, be sure they are lead free. If they are, they will be clearly marked on the bottom. If they are not marked, use them for decorative purposes only.




My chargers are from Marshalls Home Goods Store. The blue plates are from IKEA. The napkin rings I made using different stones purchased from Michael's. I strung them on elasticized chord so they could be easily slipped around the napkins. The blue goblets I purchased at Garden Ridge.









The centerpiece is a thrifty find. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but being a Monday, it was discounted 25%. That was the deciding factor...sold.




I really like its shape.




I hope you enjoyed my tablescape. Enjoy your Thursday!

20 comments:

  1. I love your centerpiece! You'll enjoy it for years to come. Pretty table setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The patterns on your Mexican dishware are just beautiful. I love your idea of stringing beads on the elastic cording, how easy and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I love the bright colors ... and love Mexican pottery. The pitcher is especially pretty ... an unusual color. Hope you'll visit me at my site!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love the dishes. They are so pretty. You have done a wonderful job of coordinating everything. Beautifully done. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Talevera, it is very nice. The pitcher in the middle is fabulous. I remember many times visiting South Padre and crossing over. Great finds. Is it still safe to cross over?

    Christi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Talavera pottery always makes a beautiful table. Thanks for sharing this inspiring table. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty 'scape! Your centerpiece was definitely worth what you paid, it "makes" your table. I really like your deep blue stemware too! The green napkins are a good colour choice!

    DD

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen this type of pottery before but never knew the name...thanks for the lesson on it. It made for a very happy tablescape & I don't care how much you paid for your centerpiece...it was worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the table...The colors are wonderful...
    I am having a give a way please do try to stop by...
    xoxo
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a pretty table! Love the Mexican dishes. It's good to know that they now make them lead free!

    ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty -- we made a family trip to Mexico when I was a teen. My mother was so dissapointed that the plates she had purchased couldn't be used because they were lead based. Your's are delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty table, and I love the way you fanned the napkins out. The dishes are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful dishes from Mexico, the best part is the memories that you have concerning them. Thanks for the tip on looking for the lead free markings on the bottom. I was wondering about that. Everything looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey there!
    Your lead free dishes are so festive!
    Enjoyed your table and what you've shared with us.
    God bless,
    d from homehaven

    ps hope you'll drop by my place in Kansas for a spot of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. BEAUTIFUL table!! Some good food served with those beautiful bright colors could lift easily lift my spirits on ANY day!! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a lovely and stylish tablescape. I love Mexican china. I can almost imagine the guacamole, tacos, enchiladas and zopes you can have there. Mmmmhhhhhhh!
    Warm regards from South America,
    Val

    ReplyDelete
  17. So pretty! And the blue pitcher is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful--Love the smashing high jammin colors!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! If you have any questions or comments, just let me know in the comment box below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
01 09 10