I've been in the mood to make a starfish tassel, so I combined strategies and just went for it.
I began with a candle cup I purchased from Hobby Lobby.
I took jute {4ply #72} and made 20 or so loops approx. 8" long. I secured the top with a small length of just and clipped the loops at the opposite end. I used the secured end and stuffed it into the candle cup with a small drop of hot glue. After it had dried, I untwisted each strand of jute, separating into four strands...I wanted a natural base for the starfish.
{Kinda looks like a jellyfish, doesn't it?}
On top of these ribbons, I wound more jute around the cap, covering all edges. I could have stopped at this point, but I decided to add more fringe. I put on three layers, two brown and one off white. When I felt the tassel was full enough, I added the starfish on top and another piece of jute on the back in which to hang him.
Just for fun, I added a few small shells on various ribbons.
I'm linking to Susans' Between Naps on the Porch for her Metamorphasis Monday. Be sure to stop by to visit!
I'm also linking with The Nesting Place...You'll LOVE this blog too. Please visit for LOADS of inspiration!







Sharlotte, that's one of the prettiest ones I've seen! The texture of it is amazing...I love it!!!
ReplyDeleteHowdy
ReplyDeleteSimply amazing !
Love your blog .
Until next time
Happy Trails
This is WONDERFUL !! Love what you did. Now I'll be coo-coo to make one for myself just to see if I can do it. Very very nice. Marsha
ReplyDeleteLovely twist on the tassel theme. I hadn't seen one like that and I love it. Love decorating with shells.Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteSharlotte, I am amazed! How delightful!!!
ReplyDeletesmiles, alice
WOW...another cool coastal item...luv it! Come by and check out my new post...you have been featured...hope you will grab my cute little starfih button for your blog:)
ReplyDeleteBlessings,
Linda
Love that tassel! I haven't seen a starfish one before. Might have to try to do one of those for my little beach place.
ReplyDeleteYou did a fantastic job and it looks just as good as any of the tassels I've purchased from The Tassel House. Way to go girl!
ReplyDeleteLooks great~!! you did a fantastic job on that.
ReplyDeleteSonny
Thank you so much for sharing this! I saw another tutorial on tassels, but LOVE yours!!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day!
Becky
Such a gorgeous tassel. I love it. The use of the jute is so cute. Hugs, Marty
ReplyDeleteMy, my this is simply beautiful!
ReplyDeleteDee Dee
I love your tassle. I am still in FL and must look for a starfish so I can use your wonderful tutorial when I return home. Thanks so much!
ReplyDeleteOh, I love this! I love anything beach related and your tassel is beautiful and beachy!
ReplyDeleteKat :)
Hi Sharlotte! My daughter and I once made a seashell bedside table together... with the help of a tutorial from "Tales from an OC Cottage" blog! This tassel would be gorgeous to add to her room now, if I can make her one, so thank you for YOUR tutorial! Very pretty! Love the starfish! ~tina
ReplyDeleteThanks for the tutorial, I often wondered how these were made. Your's is beautiful.
ReplyDeletethanks for the kind comment on my cloche and the visit.
Wow, Sharlotte that is so pretty. You are right, there are many different versions and this one I like alot! Let your imagine go wild! Thanks for highlighting my blog. :)
ReplyDeleteLove it, so is the starfish glued to the front of the candle holder? can you still see it behind the starfish? I've never thought to do them like that, great idea. and thanks for stopping by :)
ReplyDeleteYou certainly don't need to buy any tassels when you can make fabulous ones. You did a wonderful job. Thanks for sharing how you made it.
ReplyDeleteThe starfish tassel is beautiful! I love your choice of ribbons.
ReplyDeleteWow, I love that tassel. You did a great job on it! I am now in the mood for summer! =) Thanks for sharing! ~Liz
ReplyDeleteThat's adorable! And you've given me a new idea. Thanks! :)
ReplyDeleteSo pretty! You should be selling tassels instead of buying them!
ReplyDeleteThanks for stopping by my blog!
So pretty! Love the starfish.
ReplyDeleteHope you'll drop by AtticMag to give JaneT some advice on making a bench from a vintage bed. #81 on Met Monday.
Allison
Great job....I tried to make one once...it wasn't the best. Thanks for coming by and encouraging me....I appreciate it!
ReplyDeleteI ♥♥♥ your tassel!
ReplyDeleteThat is just gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteLove, love, love your tassel! It's perfect! Is it all held together with hot glue?
ReplyDeleteyour tassel is amazing. i'm loving it for summer! thanks for the great idea!
ReplyDeleteMy kind of tassel...all beachy and cute! I love this! Thanks for sharing how you made it!
ReplyDeleteI'm still lovin yours best! So, so beautiful...just love it.
ReplyDeleteSo Lovely!!!! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous tassel w/ us!!
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful... Coming from the South and in the area of the Home of the Mermaids. Weeki Wachee, Florida... I always look for things like this .... Great work.
ReplyDelete